I don’t like to use the word “step” but for the sake of this post I will. The dreaded “stepmom” has been tied to bad experiences from children everywhere who have been mistreated by immature women. I just wanna take a second to enlighten all the bio moms out there….
1. We don’t care if you drill it in your kids head that they only have ONE mother, and that they are never to call us “mom”. That’s a given. (Brutal honesty coming) We love your children because they come as a package deal with the man and it’s our responsibility to make the child feel loved and appreciated BUT we are not going to cry if we are never called mom by your kid(we have plenty of kids calling us mom already. I promise you we aren’t hurt by your stupidity). We will still love and treat the kids all the same but that word doesn’t break us.
2. We are not going to give your kids any special treatment over the kids that are already in the house. They gotta fall in line…I’m fair all the way around. If my child can get that ass whooped so can your kid. Period. If I’m good enough to buy clothes and give out my love then I should be qualified to discipline…(it’s all love either way)
3. Please send the kid over with decent clothes, if not, don’t get mad when we keep the clothes we buy at our house! Once again I’m fair all the way around. If I take pride in my kids appearance when we step out then your child will be treated the same way. Whether you like it or not when they are with the “stepmom” they are a reflection of US.
4. Be mindful of your conversations in front of the kids because they repeat everything you say. They repeat it to the kids that you tell them are not their “real” siblings and those kids come tell us.
5. Lastly, we are going to be co-parenting for a looooong time so get over yourself and let’s make this journey a smooth one. K?